The way we are using the WiFi is about to change. We want to transfer data at very high speed when we are near WiFi router. However this is not achieved most of the times due to the network limitations. You might have heard about WiGig earlier. In this post we are going to understand it’s concept in brief. So let’s get started.
Also read: What is meant by Internet of Things (IoT)?
What is WiGig?
It is a trade association that developed and promoted the adoption of multi gigabit per second wireless speed communication over 60GHz frequency. It’s aim was to promote 802.11ad protocol. The formation of WiGig alliance was announced in May 2009.
- Supports data transmission speed upto 7 Gbps (Almost 10 times faster than 802.11n)
- Backward compatibility up to 802.11n
- Low power consumption and higher transmission rates
- Phase array antenna beamforming
- Advanced security & power management
A Brief Overview of WiGig
WiGig is a tri-band enable device with frequency support of 2.4, 5 & 60 GHz bands. It can provide wireless data transfer rate upto 7 Gbps. However due to very high frequency it’s range is quite low as compared to other bands that we generally use everyday.
Also read: An introduction to Virtual Reality(VR)
So generally waves of this high frequency cannot penetrate walls. However, but they can propagate by reflection from ceilings walls etc. When 60 GHz band is out of range, you can automatically switch to other band like 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.
- Wireless video and audio transmission & wireless display port
- High speed connectivity between two devices results in faster performance
- Various other applications which needs high speed connectivity
- Intel Wireless Docking
- No interference with other low band frequency
- Wired connection can be eliminated
- Instant wireless sync
- Automatically switching between bands
- Very low latency time (~ 10 micro seconds)
- Due to frequency of 60 GHz, range is small, But this could be easily fixed with a cheap wifi range extender device.
- Not readily built into common devices
However, it may take some time for WiGig to come preinstalled on everyday devices like laptops, smartphones, gaming consoles etc.
We hope that you have found this article interesting. You can tell us what do you think about WiGig and can share your views via the comment section given below.
GET INSTANT ACCESS
Receive latest tutorials, news and tech updates right to your inbox!