As you know, Nowadays our requirements are getting higher every day. We need to customise everything according to our requirements. Similarly in our phone also. For that we need to root our phone but if you are having a Sony device you have to first unlock it’s bootloader and then proceed towards rooting process. So here we are going to discuss how to Unlock bootloader of Sony Devices.
“This post may contain affiliate links & we will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on our links” [Read More Here]
- Before unlocking Sony Xperia Z bootloader, make sure that it is on software build 14.2.A.0.290 (Android 4.3) or later. In earlier versions, it may cause the camera to stop functioning after unlocking the bootloader.
- You may experience problems by accepting over the air upgrades (FOTA – Firmware upgrade Over The Air) after unlocking the bootloader. So, do not perform FOTA after unlocking the bootloader. you can also check out the solutions (if available) from XDA-Developers.
- Sony Device with locked boot loader.
- USB cable.
- Windows PC/Laptop.
Steps to Unlock Boot Loader of Sony Devices
Warning :- This can potentially brick your device. So follow the instructions carefully. Neither me or anyone except you is responsible for your device. This will also void your warranty. Your device will be formatted, so make a backup of all data before proceeding.
Method 1 (Native Method)
- First you have to confirm that whether your device’s boot loader can be unlocked or not. Open dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access service menu.
- If you have a tablet open the contacts app, click the menu button, click settings, long press (for about 5 seconds) somewhere in the empty space just above status bar and then release your finger. A button named Enter service code will then appear in the same area (this may take a few tries), Click enter service code, enter *#*#7378423#*#* in dialer.
- Tap Service info -> Configuration -> Rooting Status. If your boot loader can be unlocked it will be saying yes in Bootloader unlock allowed. If it is saying no or if there is no status, your device boot loader cannot be unlocked (You cannot proceed further).
- Go to this page.
- Read the guidelines and click Yes, I’m sure.
- Read and accept the legal terms. Click I Accept.
- Enter your name.
- Dial *#06# to find IMEI or MEID number.
- If you have a tablet, IMEI, MEID or IDID number can be found at side of your device and also in about menu in setting in some devices.
- Enter IMEI, MEID or IDID number and your email address. Click Submit.
- The unlock key will be emailed to you. Save it.
- Now read this article and install Android SDK : How to install ADB & Fastboot drivers on Windows PC.
- Download this ZIP file. Extract ZIP file.
- Install update Google USB Drivers in Android SDK to latest version.
- Replace file in Android SDK -> extras -> google folder with the unzipped file.
- Turn off your device.
- Push and hold Fast boot button at the same time when you connect USB cable to your device. There are different Fast boot button for different devices.
- You may be asked for drivers. Select android_winusb.inf file and select Android Boot loader interface file.
- Go to platform tools in Android SDK folder.
- Press and hold shift button and right click anywhere in the folder.
- Now click open command window here.
- Enter fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version and verify that you get response back. The response will ensure that your device is properly connected to your computer.
- Now enter fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY , replace KEY with the unlock key which was emailed to you previously.
- Congratulation, you have successfully unlocked boot loader of your Sony device.
Method 2 (Very fast and easy but not supported for every device)
- Check that whether your can device is supported or not using this page.
- If your device is supported download and install Sony boot loader unlock from here. If your device is not supported then you have to continue with native method i.e. Method 1.
- Open Sony boot loader unlock.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Select android version and enable USB debugging as shown in the software.
- Your device drivers will automatically get installed.
- Click unlock. It will take few minutes to complete. (Don’t disconnect your phone between process)
- You will get a success message. Click finish and your device will automatically reboot.
Thank you for reading this post and keep connected to Tech Arrival to continue enjoying wonderful posts. Share your views about this post in comment section below. If you are still having any query throw it in comment section.
If you find this post helpful, don’t hesitate to share this post on your social network. It will only take a moment and also it is quite easy and helpful for others. You can also subscribe to us to get all latest updates of your interest right to your inbox.