Motorola Moto X Play is a mid-range phone announced in July 2015. It is packed up with 5.5 inch Full HD display, SnapDragon 615 octa-core processor, 2GB RAM, 16/32GB internal storage, 21MP rear camera and much more.
“This post may contain affiliate links & we will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on our links” [Read More Here]
This device is giving a tough competition to various smartphones in it’s price range. OnePlus 2 is one of it’s major competitor. Unlike OnePlus 2, Moto X Play is water & dust proof, have NFC, Turbo charging and a great battery life. In this post we are going to discuss how to install TWRP recovery & root Moto X Play.
I. Unlocking the Bootloader
Before flashing custom recovery and rooting your Moto X Play, you first need to unlock the bootloader of your device. So let’s begin :
- Install Motorola USB Drivers & ADB and Fastboot Drivers.
- Turn off your device.
- Hold Volume Down & Power button for few seconds to boot your device in fastboot mode.
- Connect your device to computer.
- Now go to the folder where you have installed ADB & Fastboot. Hold shift and right click anywhere in the folder. Click open command window here.
- Type fastboot oem get_unlock_data and hit enter.
- You will see a long string in the command window. Select whole text and copy it to notepad.(Remove all spaces after copying)
- Now go to Motorola Bootloader Unlock page and login there.(If you do not have an account then create one)
- Follow the steps and paste the copied string when asked.
- You will receive an unlock key in your email inbox. Copy that unlock key to clipboard.
- Now type fastboot oem unlock <Unlock Key Here> and hit enter.
- Your bootloader will be unlocked within few seconds.
- Type fastboot reboot to reboot your device.
II. Flashing TWRP Recovery
After successfully unlocking Moto X Play’s bootloader, now you can head over to flash TWRP recovery :
- Download TWRP Recovery Image.
- Again boot into fastboot mode and open ADB & Fastboot command window as done earlier.
- Rename download recovery image to recovery.img
- Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img to flash TWRP recovery to your device.
- Wait till it flashes the recovery. Then type fastboot reboot to reboot your device.
III. Rooting Moto X Play
Now you have TWRP recovery installed on your Moto X Play. So you can easily root your device using this custom recovery. Read this post on root android device using custom recovery.
Thank you for reading this post and keep connected to Tech Arrival to continue enjoying wonderful posts. Share your views about this post in comment section below. If you are still having any query throw it in comment section.
If you find this post helpful, don’t hesitate to share this post on your social network. It will only take a moment and also it is quite easy and helpful for others.