As we all know there is various easy and simple software available which will let us to a bootable pendrive easily. We can mention some software that is widely use, that are Win 32 Disk Imager, UNetBootin, Rufus, etc. But sometimes they can’t get the things done when you really want them to or sometimes you don’t have them. So, here we are going to learn how to create bootable pendrive using cmd(windows command prompt).
What is Bootable Pendrive?
Sometimes bootable pendrive is also referred to as bootable USB. It is a disk that can boot up your computer if you don’t have any operating system. i.e. a standalone storage which can boot up your computer.
Also Read: How to Make Your Computer Faster
Also, note that you can only create bootable pendrive for Windows Vista and later (7/8/8.1/10) using the command prompt. If you are looking to make bootable pendrive for Windows XP or any Linux Distribution, you will have to use third party tools.
Steps to Create Bootable Pendrive using CMD
CMD is available on all of the windows computers, so you would not have to worry about downloading any new package or software to make your pendrive bootable. It is a bit lengthy process but it traditional method and always works:
- Run cmd(Command Prompt) as Administrator. (This is an important step because you are going to edit disks which require admin privileges)There are several ways to open a command prompt with admin rights:
i) Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt(Admin).
ii) Open start menu, search cmd, right click and click run as administrator.
iii) Open task manager, click on file -> new task, tick Create this task with administrator privileges, type cmd and hit enter.
- Connect your pendrive to your computer.
- Type disk part and press enter. (This will open the windows inbuilt disk part utility which is used to manage the storage on your computer)
- Type list disk and press enter. This will list all the storage device available on your computer.
- Choose your pendrive. For that type select disk 1 and press enter. (Here it is disk 1. In your computer it may differ so choose wisely)
- Type clean and press enter. This will erase all data from your pendrive.
- Type create partition primary and press enter.
- Type select partition 1 and press enter. This will choose the partition we just created.
- Type format=fs NTFS quick and press enter. This will perform a quick format with the NTFS file system. (Windows use NTFS file system for storage)
- Type active and press enter. This will mark your primary partition as active.
- Type exit and press enter to exit disk part and then close the command prompt.
- Now copy all the data from Windows installation disk to your pendrive.
- Now your pendrive is bootable having desired windows installation.
Photo Credits: dailytechnoblog.com
How to Boot from Bootable Pendrive?
As you just created a bootable pendrive for your desired windows. Now it’s time to boot it and install windows on the computer of choice. There are various ways to boot from a pendrive. Here are some of the options that are commonly used:
- When your computer starts after powered on. Some function key (Generally F8/F12) is used to go into boot device selection. Just make sure to insert the pendrive before powering on the computer and select your drive.
- The other method which was traditionally used was to change the boot device order from the BIOS menu. For this, you will have to go to bios settings and change the boot order. (See motherboard manufacturer website for more information.)
We hope that we’ve cleared up any doubts you had regarding creating bootable pendrive and also booting it.
Thank you for reading this post and keep connected to Tech Arrival to continue enjoying excellent posts. Share your views about this post in the comment section below. If you still have any query, throw it in the comment section.
If you find this post helpful, don’t hesitate to share this post on your social network. It will only take a moment and also it is quite easy and useful for others.